Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A need for excitement

I was watching an advertisement for an insurance company last night, can the theme was 'to do something different every weekend'. Sure, 54 different activities might not be that difficult to find. But have we got the time, the people and the money to arrange all of those? 

Ok! So it might be bungee jumping! Great fun with adventure and perhaps a cardiac arrest. But do we need to really go through all the pain to only blow a few thousands and get traumatized in life and only satisfy 1 weekend of activity? We often crack our head to think of things to do ... a picnic, a trek in the forest, a big cook out and the list goes on .... but these things require effort to plan. Don't get me wrong, these are great ideas and we should do it one day. What is puzzling me is, how about the cheap thrills in life? Or the simple pleasures of living. 

(oh .. I can hear my ex- boss saying ..'One of the simple pleasures of life is having a nice poop in the morning'. Nice description)

What got me thinking is that I was walking along the corridor of UM last week. It was a boring gloomy day of class. And there was this little girl, about 3 or 4 years old. And she was having the time of her life. She spread her arms and ran around like an aeroplane, just screaming away and having the time of her life. How could something so simple, entertain her? And why can't we as adults just find simple enjoyments of life?

I still remember when I was very little, there used to be this foyer, like a catchment area in my grandma's house. It will fill up and become a pool when it rains. So we will quickly block the drainage area and make paper sail boats. We will make hundreds of paper boats only to have my grandma run after us for wasting paper. But the sight of those boats, bobbing up and down the water was just so entertaining to us! Oh how I miss those days of simple pleasures and pure excitement. And yes, I did make a paper boat last week for this little 'pool' in UM last week. 

So I think its time we learn how to 'un-complicate' ourselves. We do not need a flashy car, or tons of cash or a high-tec gadget in order to have fun in life. Go on, enjoy the things you do everyday ... find novelty when you chop your veggies up during dinner or do a dance when you mop your floor. Learn to observe the thing around you when you go for your jog and you'll realize how everyday is a different adventure!! 

1 comment:

Edward said...

Yupz, thanks for the reminder to look at the simple things in life again. :)

I used to remember that I was always very excited to ride a bicycle every evening. (this was when i first learn how to ride it) That joy was really wonderful then.

Guess what is most important is appreciate every little things in our life and never be too materialistic.