Monday, February 2, 2009

Japan day 3

Is Tokyo really that big? As we took possibly forever to make our way to our destination of the day. Asakusa! The place of the giant red lantern. It was already lunch time when we reached Asakusa, so we settled for food in this cute little cosy homestyle cooking restaurant. The place in there is a little crammed and the menu was a little limited. But who cares? The food was good ... I had Zosui, or porridge, its so simple but so tasty. In fact, the little shops are the places where you can really find good food. And good food had to be accompanied by Sake. thus ......... we had happy tourists!




So off we went to Asakusa temple. With many roadside stalls selling snacks, souveniors and traditional ware ....... this walk was not a boring one. It was so crowded and so colorful. It really reflects the ultimate sight seeing experience. The smells of fresh rice cakes filled the air and even though I just had my lunch, I just had to snack. The temple was beautiful. The colors was majestic and the building works .... so intricately designed. I don't know why but I love wooden buildings. Just a short tour of the temple and off we went for more shopping.


There were streets and streets of it. Whatever you wanted you could find it. Budget shopping or the classy ones, the stalls there cater to your every need. I even bought a winter jacket there for 1500 yens ... about RM 60. wahaha good deal eh? With a fluffy cape too ....... thats why I love bargain shopping. But the rest of the day was just spent walking and waiting, snacking and people watching (I can taste the sweetness of the red bean bun right now ........ughhh!!!!! hungry)!!


As if Asakusa was not enought, we went shopping in Ueno. Another area with streets and streets of stalls. If you like leather stuff, this is the place to be, but I must admit that I didn't quite enjoy myself there as the leather smell was choking me alive. But anyway ......... its an experience to be there! One of the shopping recommendations.


Shopping can be tiring so back we went to Machida for dinner. And we chose this Jap restaurant that served real Jap food. I had udon with fresh mushrooms and some hill side veggies. Slurpingly delicious. Not to mention some tempura too! And everyone else had selections that looked so delicious. Syabu- syabu, shioyaki, unagi ... yummy! The true taste of Japan.



The rest of the night was a slow stroll along the streets. A short stop to the supermarket and a nice cup of hot chocolate at MOS burger. Nothing better to end your day with the cool air and a nice cup of warm drink wrapped around your palm (it would have been better if there was outdoor seats)

No comments: