Saturday, January 31, 2009

Japan day 1

My vacation started a little earlier than the rest as I travelled from KL to JB to SG for work and some passport stuff. Well, I hardly call that fun as if was so burdensome ... and the sress really kills all the anticipation and feelings of excitement. Imagine leaving for Japan in 24 hours and I did not feel a things on Sunday?

Anyway, once work ended on Sunday night, it was total shutoff for me .... a whole 11 days of relaxation. Monday was spent lazing around and just chilling out in Johor. The feeling of excitement was slowly creeping in, but it was too slow. The clock was ticking and finally it was time to go.

Everyone congagrated in one house and we left JB for Changi airport together. Well, I had the feeling that something interesting is about to happen but sheesh ........ where has my emotions gone? Its going to be my first time in Changi, my first time so far away from home, my first time in a cold country and my first time out with such a big group of friends, 8 people to be exact. Does it hurt to feel a little excited? Well, give it the benefit of the doubt, it was 4 am and I might have been too sleepy.

8 hours later and I am in Narita!! Land of the rising sun!! It was only 8 degrees then and its true! The air does smell fresher!! Standing out in the open really makes you feel so comfortable ... so clean! And for the first time I felt happy and excited. I am in a foreign land ....... ready to explore and ready for great fun! The ride to the little town that we were supposed to be in, Machida, took us 2 hours from the airport. But it was a good trip. Got to see those bare naked trees .. so artistic. Got to see nice traditional and wooden houses and also vast fields and brownish hills. I knew that I made the right decision to tag along to Japan.

There was of course lots of traveling and tugging along the luggage, and when we reached Sensei's house, it was a nice welcome. Cosy room, warm comforters, small toilet but a feeling of togetherness ....... a perfect place for a slumber party hehe. Our room was on the third floor ... better view, fresher air, stronger wind ....... ahh ... just perfect though it doesn't help that the stairs are out in the open and the railings are made of steel .... brrrr cold to the touch.

So off we went for our first Japanese dinner and a tour of Machida city. We had ramen and trhe cute thing about this was that you order via a vending machine. You put your money in, select your food, out colmes your ticket and you will be served shortly. Thoughout Japan, there are many more shops like this. Talk about technology. But even in fast-food Jap chains like this, food is exceptionally good. I love Jap food and its even better to have it from its original kitchen.

Time for shopping and walking and snacking. Shopping centers are a plenty in Japan. I guess thats one of the few things that people in this modern metropolis do to kill their time. But we also went to this street where there were bargains in little shops. Thats where you can get the real good buys but the shopping bug has not caught me yet. So for me, it was just walking outdoors, enjoying the cool air and people watching. I just love to cool wind blowing in your face (and I can feel it right now as I am sitting in my hot room on a typical warm sunny Sunday in KL). I really didn't mind waiting for the others out in the open ....... its not often I get to enjoy this weather. Call me a 'jakun' but thats my cheap thrill. Street snacks was good too and the best ..... eating green tea ice cream in winter! Slurp!

No comments: